While in Atlanta this past week I was lucky enough to explore a great deal. Some of my favorite spots included lunch at Miller Union with the darling Southern Proper team, dinner with an adorable bunch of gals at JCT Kitchen organized by the sweet as pie Ginnybranch, stops at Ann Mashburn (Ann was there and I almost fainted…) and Sid Mashburn, and dinner at BLT Steak with the hysterical southern belles of Americas Mart, Krissa of Traditional Home, Alabama decorator extraordinaire Tobi Fairley, Cortney Novogratz of HGTV’s new Home by Novorgratz and Cortney’s beautiful assistant, Annabelle.
The very last afternoon I dropped by the Pieces boutique and wound up staying over an hour (the images above give you a small glimpse of its fabulousness)! I hit it off with owner Lee Kleinhelter’s terribly cool assistant, Susan, and the rest is history. Susan’s family is French and her grandmother (who is 99 and still sharp as a tack!) worked for Coco Chanel in Paris — can you even imagine!? Needless to say Pieces is an absolute jewel box and you should be sure to drop in if you’re ever in Atlanta (or shop online). Their collection is to die for!
A special thank you to Traditional Home and Americas Mart for asking me to speak on their panel alongside the incredibly talented Tobi and Stan. What a lovely experience! Thank you also to everyone in Atlanta that was so kind and welcoming! It was a wonderful first trip and I hope to be back soon! :) xo Katie
(images made fancy via instagram — follow us at matchbookmag and katiearmour)
These beautiful flower studies by Dutch artist Jan van Huysum took our breath away. The images belong to the British Museum and were shared by one of our favorite blogs, the Snail and the Cyclops. Huysum was born in the Amsterdam in 1682 and became known for his paintings of lavish flower arrangements. We love that these studies make for a simpler version of his typically elaborate still lives. What we would give to have one framed on our wall!
A few of the colorful items on our wish list this July – they’d brighten each day, wouldn’t you agree?
1) Letterpress Print: A Matchbook motto if ever there was one – from Sugar Paper LA.
2) Nail Polish: Poppy, an orange-red from American Apparel, strikes our fancy.
3) Glasses: Lemtosh frames in Blonde – a classic from Manhattan’s Moscot.
4) Scarf: Etsy offers a treasure trove of vintage Vera scarves – tie them around your handbag or hair for a perfect pop of color.
5) Skirt: Anne Cramer’s Flynn skirt won our hearts – we especially enjoy the cherry (a very Matchbook red)!
6) Clutch: Pride and Prejudice – Kate Spade’s newest book clutch may just be their best yet…
7) Vase: A lovely work of art from the studio of Jill Rosenwald – fresh blooms are a must!
8) Bookends: Perfect to prop up all those summer reads on your shelf – don’t you think?